Updated on January 21, 2019
Audible is one of the most popular online audiobook providers for all time. It has created 3 different kinds of Audible audio formats including AA, AAX and AAX+, which are encrypted with the Digital Right Management to prevent unauthorized use of the audiobooks. However, only the selected mobile devices with authorized Audible account can play the AAX files. If you want to enjoy your Audible audiobooks on an MP3 player or in your car, you need to convert AAX to MP3.
In this comprehensive guide, I will show you some effective methods to convert Audible to MP3.
You May Like:
What You'll Need
1. TuneFab Apple Music Converter: It is not only an Apple Music Converter , but also an AAX to MP3 converter. As a professional audiobook converter, it works perfectly on defeating Audible DRM and converting AAX/AA files to other plain audio formats including MP3, M4A, AAC, etc. When the Audible DRM protection has been removed, you can save the converted MP3 files to your computer or transfer the MP3 audiobook to any of your media player. Most importantly, it can convert Audible AAX to MP3 with an incredibly fast speed, for example, it will take less than 5 minutes to convert a 10-hour Audible AAX file.
2. iTunes: iTunes is required if you are using TuneFab Apple Music Converter. Please make sure that you have installed the latest version of iTunes. Besides, it's important to connect your Audible account to iTunes to make sure that your iTunes is authorized to play the imported Audible AAX file.
3. Audible AAX audiobook: You need to import Audible files into iTunes library and make sure the audiobooks are playable.
Step 1. Import AAX Files to iTunes Library
To get started, follow the steps below to add your AAX audiobooks to iTunes library.
* On Windows: Open iTunes and go to "Book" > "Audiobook" section. Then click the "File" > "Add File to Library" to add AAX files to iTunes.
* On Mac: Open iTunes and go to "Book" > "Audiobook" section. Then Click "File" > "Add to library" to add AAX files to iTunes.
Step 2. Add Audiobook to AAX to MP3 Converter
Run the TuneFab Apple Music Converter. And you will find all your iTunes media are shown on the "Playlist" section. Open the "Audiobooks" playlist and tick the AAX audiobooks you want to convert. Or take advantage of the "Search Box" to locate the AAX files quickly.
Step 3. Choose MP3 as the Output Format
Go to "Output Settings" > "Output Format" to select the MP3 as output format from the drop-down list. And you can also adjust other profile setting to custom the audio file as you like. Then set the destination folder by clicking the "…" icon beside to the "Output Folder".
Note: If you would like to keep the original chapter info of your AAX audiobook, you'd better select M4A as the output format instead of MP3.
Step 4. Convert AAX to MP3
Press the big "Convert" button to start converting AAX to MP3 format. Due to 16X faster conversion speed of TuneFab Apple Music Converter, you can finish the whole conversion within minutes.
Once the conversion finished, you can transfer the AAX audiobooks to iPod or burn Auidble audiobooks to CD, etc. for listening. TuneFab Apple Music Converter is also capable of converting Apple Music and iTunes M4P music to plain MP3, M4A, MKV, AU, AIFF and so on. Now get this program from below and start your own work!
#1. OpenAudible - Free AAX to MP3 Converter
OpenAUdible is an open source Audible audiobook converter that most recommended by many users from Reddit. It supports macOS, Windows and Linux system so you can download the exact version you need from its official website. It not only allows you to import existing AAX files from your local folder, but also lets you browse purchased AAX files from Auidble.com directly by connecting your Audible account with this program.
Once your files are imported successfully, you will see the detailed audiobook info and all the imported audiobooks on the main interface.
When I first used OpenAudible, I noticed that its "Convert to MP3" button is not available, so I thought this program cannot convert AAX files at all. But it turns out that I was wrong. Because this program actually converts all my Audible titles automatically, without having to click at anything.
This is how I find the converted AAX files:
Right click at the audiobook title, and select “Show MP3”, then I found them in my local folder. Amazing!
#2. AAX to MP3 – Free Audible Audiobook Manager
AAX to MP3 is also an open source Audible manager. You need to sign in your Audible account when using this program. And it says it can convert AAX to MP3 with in a fast and free way. No iTunes is required.
If you are looking for more free tools to convert AAX to MP3, go to Reddit and you will find what you need easily.
If you want to download DRM-free audiobooks from the online websites, try the followings:
#1. LibriVox: It provides free audiobooks for anyone to listen to. You can download the audiobooks for offline playback, or you can just listen to the books online. All audiobooks are DRM-free.
#2. Downpour: It's a famous online audiobooks seller that provides high quality audiobooks. You are able to download DRM-free audiobooks to your iPhone, Android or other devices for offline listening.
If you have discovered more effective tools to convert AAX to MP3, please share them with us by leaving a comment below.
GET OUR NEWSLETTER
Sign up to get the latest on sales, new releases and more...Click Here to Subscribe ▶