The Roku streaming media players have become people's first choice when it comes to choosing a TV streaming device. With Roku, you can easily stream shows and movies from online services - like Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Disney Plus, Hulu, etc. on your standard TVs.
The bad news, however, is that Roku does not support iTunes movies because iTunes movies are DMR-protected and cannot be played on non-Apple devices. There is no way to play iTunes movies and TV shows directly on Roku, which is disappointing if you're an iTunes Movies fan and have purchased or rented a ton of content on iTunes.
Thankfully, there are some alternatives to help you stream iTunes Movies on Roku. In this post, we will walk you through several professional methods to play iTunes movie on Roku.
Method 1. Play iTunes Movies on Roku without DRM
As we said in the beginning, on the one hand, iTunes movies can't be directly played on Roku because they are encrypted by Apple's DRM technology and can only be played on Apple's iOS devices and Apple TV. On the other hand, according to Roku's official website, the video formats supported by Roku are limited to H.264/AVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV).
Therefore, to play iTunes movie on Roku, it's essential to remove the DRM protection of iTunes movies and convert them to Roku-compatible video formats such as MP4.
Useful M4V itunes Converter You'll Need
This is exactly where TuneFab M4V Converter comes into play. It is a professional iTunes DRM removal tool that can help you remove DRM protection from iTunes M4V videos, be it iTunes movie or iTunes TV Show. With this all-in-one application, you can play iTunes movies on Roku with ease.
Key Features of TuneFab M4V Converter:
● iTunes M4V DRM Removal - It is able to decrypt DRM-protected M4V videos (movies, TV shows, music videos, extras, etc.) with ease.
● Lossless Conversion - It converts iTunes M4V video to MP4 format with 1080P Full HD /720P HD quality, enabling you to enjoy 100% lossless picture and sound quality.
● Original Data Retained - It preserves the original Dolby 5.1 soundtracks, subtitles, closed captions and audio description and supports customized output settings.
● Batch Conversion with 5X Faster Speed - You can convert multiple iTunes M4V movies/TV shows at a time. The converting speed can be as high as 5x faster.
● Multiple Devices Supported - After conversion, you can freely play iTunes videos on whatever devices you like without any playback limitation.
How to Convert iTunes Movies to MP4
Follow the steps below and you can easily convert iTunes purchased or rented movies to MP4 with the help of TuneFab M4V Converter.
Step 1. Launch TuneFab M4V Converter and Add Movies
Run TuneFab M4V Converter after installation, click "Add Files" on the menu bar, and choose the purchased and rented movies you want to convert from your local iTunes library.
Step 2. Select Audio track and Subtitle
After adding your selected movies to the list, you can manually choose your desired audio track and subtitle from the available options by clicking the gear icon.
Step 3. Start Conversion
When everything is done, click the "Convert button" to convert iTunes movies to MP4. With the batch conversion feature, the conversion process can be completed in a concise time without your constant attention.
Once you have finished the conversion, then you can start playing these DRM-free videos on Roku by following the two ways below.
For Roku devices with USB ports, you can store the converted MP4 videos on your USB drive first and insert it into the USB port on your Roku device. Then you can freely play iTunes movie on Roku through Roku Media Player.
For Roku devices without USB ports, you can play iTunes movie on Roku using DLAN. Roku Media Player now works with the following DLNA servers:
● Windows Media Player/Center
Method 2. Play iTunes Movies on Roku via Apple TV App
The most straightforward and simple way to play iTunes movie on Roku is through the Apple TV channel. The Apple TV channel is now available for most Roku players and TV models.
Check if your device is one of the Apple TV-enabled models listed below.
If your Roku device is compatible, you can start adding the Apple TV channel by following a few steps.
Step 1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote to launch the Roku Home Screen. Go to the Streaming Channels to open the Channel Store.
Step 2. Select Search Channels, enter Apple TV, and choose the Apple TV app from the list of apps displayed.
Step 3. Click the Add Channel button and get it installed.
Method 3. Activate Apple TV to Play iTunes Movies on Roku
Once you have added the Apple TV channel, the next step is to sign into it with your Apple ID. Here are the detailed steps.
Step 1. Launch the Apple TV channel.
Step 2. Select Settings > Accounts > Sign in.
Step 3. Choose one of the sign-in options on your TV.
● Sign In On Mobile Device: Open your smartphone, navigate to activate.apple.com and scan the OR code on your TV, or enter the code that appears.
● Sign In On This TV: Directly use your Roku remote to enter your Apple ID on your screen and then log in.
If you don't have an Apple ID, just choose the Create an Apple ID option. You can visit activate.apple.com and enter the code displayed on your TV, or scan the QR code that appears. Follow the on-screen instructions and you can easily complete the registration process.
Method 4. Watch iTunes Movies on Roku via Movies Anywhere
Movies Anywhere is another great choice if you want to play iTunes movie on Roku. It is a professional integrated tool available free on various smart devices including Roku players and Roku TVs. It brings together your purchased movies from all your connected accounts (iTunes, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, etc.) into one hub, saving you from jumping between your Roku channels and Apple products.
The steps are as simple as the second method we mentioned above.
1. Add the Movie Anywhere channel to your Roku device, and get the activation code on your TV.
2. Log in or create a new Movie Anywhere account, and then enter the code appearing on the TV to activate the channel.
3. Connect your iTunes account using your Apple ID. After then, you can access all the movies from the iTunes stores and get them played.
Note: This app is only available in the USA now.
In conclusion, while it's not feasible to directly play iTunes movie on your Roku, there are some other alternatives that can help you out. Using the Apple TV app or Movie Anywhere channel is undoubtedly easy and fast, but it has some limitations, such as model requirements and geographical restrictions.
If you want to save purchased or rented iTunes movies forever and play them without restrictions, TuneFab M4V Converter is definitely the best choice for you. Let's start converting your iTunes movies into DRM-free MP4 format and enjoy playing them freely anywhere.